Wednesday, August 3, 2016

A Baptisimal Date! At Last!



Dear family and friends,

I don't have a ton of time to write, so I'll write fast. This week went pretty well. We're starting to see some progress in the area. I don't know if I told you last week or not, but one of our investigators finally is back in town. Matthew is 10 and had been in the great state of Texas visiting his dad for the last six weeks. We went and taught him last Sunday which went well and then we taught him this Sunday which went even better! He's on date to be baptized on August 27th! My two year mark! It's also my last full day of proselyting. That's pretty exciting. Hopefully it actually happens because he's had a couple of dates before. We're very excited for that though!

This upcoming week we will be getting some new investigators! They're potentials right now, but we have a return appointment to teach them.  It's a part member family that we'll be teaching and the one that's is most interested is their son Zach. He's 13.  He told our stake president and former bishop that he wanted to be baptized. So, we decided that we'd make the sacrifice and go teach him. Life's hard when someone is begging to be baptized you know. (Intense amounts of sarcasm behind that comment.)  I'm excited to report on how that lesson goes. He can be baptized any time he wants because he comes to church almost every Sunday.

Yesterday we got a text from one of our investigators, Tim, telling us that his wife had made us some blueberry sweet bread. We went by to pick it up and he answered the door naked. Haha! And then he invited us in! Oh man, what an experience.  Fortunately, he had a blanket around his middle, but it was a pretty small blanket. Haha! Oh man, it was definitely very funny. I guess it's good that he's that comfortable around us. I think?

Brother Jones gave one of the best lessons I've ever been to yesterday. He's one of the best seminary teachers in the state and everyone in the seminary world knows him. He gave a lesson on the Final Judgement. Usually when it starts getting to those topics in the gospel principles book I just skip back to the front. It's a class designed for investigators and when you get into these doctrines it kind of gets a little bit deep. However, the way he taught it I felt totally comfortable having investigators in the room. I learned so much. I'm excited to keep studying this week on the things he taught us there. It was incredible how in depth he went while keeping it simple. Man, my mind was blown over and over and over again as he taught that class. It was crazy. He talked about how there are different laws that people abide by. We read D&C 88:36-38; 88:21-24 There are celestial laws, terrestrial laws, and telestial laws, as well as even lower laws, that's where things like outer darkness come in. When we talk about people being disobedient in the church we're usually talking about disobedience to celestial law, or the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we are judged we will look at which law we obeyed and lived up to. Then he wrote out a list of about five scriptures that talked about the things we are judged by. Words, thoughts, deeds, desires of our hearts, and the things written upon the books in heaven, or the book of life and other records. I could go way more into it, but it was a super good lesson. There was a lot in there.

Well, I had a wonderful week with some success! It was great! It feels like we finally are gaining some traction. The past three months we just have kind of been spinning our wheels. I love you all! You'll only be getting three more emails from me after this, so that's pretty crazy. See you in a month!

Love,

Elder Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment