Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Greatest Week of my Mission!



Dear family and friends,

This week was incredible! We had 6 investigators at church which was great! I've been here for nearly a month now and we still haven't found any new investigators. So that's sad. But! When I got here our area book was a total mess and had uncared referrals from years ago and an endless list of potential investigators who had never been visited and were in the area book for hundreds of days. (It tells us how many days since the last visit.) We actually finally crossed someone off this week who hadn't been visited in 1200 days! Turns out they had moved! (No surprise there.) Anyway, the point I'm getting at is we had a very disorganized area book a month ago, but it's starting to clear up and become decipherable. It's fantastic.

Just last night we met a lady named Adrienne who Elder Ojala had met with once before at the door. We just knocked and she said she didn't have time right now, but she came out and talked with us for a good 20 minutes. She told us about having just gotten back from a camping trip and then told us a ton about her life throughout the story of how their campout was. She has a 13 almost 14-year-old daughter. She's a single mom. Her husband passed away about a decade ago. She loves her family deeply and considers herself a very family oriented person. She has her own beliefs, but has met a lot of really good Mormons and would be interested in hearing more about what we believe. When we got in the car I told Elder Ojala that she was so prepared for the gospel! I guess he hadn't really been paying much attention because he said, "Really?" Haha! Then I pointed all that stuff out to him and he says, "Oh! She totally is!" It was a great visit!

We also had another lesson with Matthew, the 10-year-old we taught last week. We talked about baptism, the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. He understood it fairly well, but we caught him on a bad day.  Usually he's a little more cognizant but that day he just wasn't feeling it. We invited him to be baptized and he said he would think about it. Usually when you teach little kids they'll say yes to anything you ask them to do, but he really thinks about things. It's nice that he wants to make the decision all on his own.

Elder Ojala is really gullible sometimes…well, all the time. He says he's trusting, not gullible. (He told me to say that.) My form of sarcasm is I'll say something so ridiculous and so out there that I think no one will ever believe me on it, but then I say it in a serious tone as though I wholeheartedly believe that to the truth.  There were a few moments this week where I was just trying to be funny, but Elder Ojala thought I was serious. We go by the Cox family from time to time to get some water. They used to live in Georgia, so we make up all sorts of fun facts about it just joking around. One of my first weeks with Elder Ojala we told him that they have green, blue, and yellow buses in Georgia. The blue for elementary students, the green for middle school/Jr. High, and yellow for high schools.  That way people would be able to use varying degrees of caution around them. I didn't think he believed it, but about two weeks later he brought it up and I died of laughter and had to tell him we were joking. The other day we went by to get some water and I sarcastically asked them if they had ice cream in Georgia and they said no sarcastically.  Leave it to Elder Ojala to ask his favorite question.  "Really?" Oh boy... And then last night I told him Freddy Mercury was still alive and he totally thought I was serious! I need to work on not being so sarcastic all the time, but all of those things seemed ridiculous enough that nobody would believe them. Fortunately, he's a good sport about it and he thinks it's pretty funny usually. Most of the time he doesn't think I'm being serious, but every once in a while... We get a good laugh! Haha!

One of the biggest heart breaks of my entire mission has been healed at last. A girl named Francine in my first area who was 11 and from the Congo loved the missionaries and the church. She read from the Book of Mormon nearly every day. She came to church and activity days every single week and month. The only problem was that her parents wouldn't let her get baptized. I thought she would have to wait until she was 18. She has sickle cell as well, so she has a serious possibility of not even making it until then.  Elder Karlinsey and I got a Facebook message from her this week that said we are cordially invited to her baptism on June 11th!!! She lives out in Phoenix now, so we asked President if we could go and he totally said yes!!!!!!!!!!  I seriously am so happy! That was by far the highlight of my entire week! You have no clue the joy I feel to have the opportunity to see her baptized! I'll put a picture of her in my email. She's a great girl! She's now 13! I'm seriously so excited now!

Not much else really happened this week. It went by super quick once again. I can't hardly believe it's already Monday again. The closer and closer to the end I get the shorter and shorter the weeks get. I'm excited to be heading home, but I'm more excited that I still get to be a missionary for another 3 months. It was weird enough telling people I've been out 20 months; 21 months however, people think I'm basically home tomorrow. And don't say that's the truth. Some may say I'm living in the state of Arizona right now, really I'm in the state of denial. Elder Gilbert who started his mission with me just pointed out to me that we have 99 days left. How dare he... Anyway! I love you all! Talk to you next week!

Love,

Elder Mullins

Me at the beginning of my mission with Francine and Cedrick




The Cox family got a super cute puppy




Elder Ojala and I take some great selfies




Elder Quist is wondering what is going on?


No comments:

Post a Comment